23 February 2008

First Weekend Away... Newcastle!


Chris and I decided to take our first weekend trip away. There was actually a motivating factor behind this trip. Chris has decided to get his motorcycle license and had to take a class. The first class that was available was in Newcastle, NSW which is about 2 hours north of Sydney.

We headed up early Saturday morning and arrived in Newcastle just in time to drop by the Bed & Breakfast that Chris booked for us. He should most definetely NOT be a travel agent! (Just kidding Chris... the place was perfect... for a good laugh now!)

The couple who started the Bed & Breakfast were very sweet. They told us about all the hotspots in Newcastle (that was a short conversation), recommended a couple of beaches to go to (beaches were AMAZING in this town), made us breakfast in the morning and showed us pictures of their children.

Before I get into the stories of their children, i'll show ya a couple pics from my drive/walk along the beaches of Newcastle (while Chris was riding his motorcycle around a parking lot).


My first stop was Bar Beach where I grabbed my beach chair (please note: this beach chair was previously used as our "couch" in the apartment), vegged out and just read my book. If you haven't read Eat, Pray, Love yet, I highly recommend it!


Next I went to Nobby's Beach. The sand was white, the water was blue and clear to the bottom, the waves were big and the beach was surprisingly NOT too crowded!

I grabbed my camera and walked along the water toward the lighthouse and the jetty. I met this really nice girl named Marney on my walk. We ended up meeting up with her later at a local bar that was right on the water.

So it was about 4pm and time for me to go pick Chris up. When I got there, he was still in his class... Here's a little preview**:



**Please note that this does NOT mean I approve or want him riding a motorcycle (especially because the FIRST thing he does is run over a cone)!!!

We ended up going to dinner at a place called Goldberg's on Saturday night. It was delish. Sunday we decided to head upto Nelson Bay (about 45 minutes up North). We didn't stay very long, but take a look at what we found!!!



By the way... You know you're in Australia when you see this on the side of the road:



I've had some issues with this blog posting, and i'm getting annoyed, so i'm going to take a break and finish more later and put a link to the rest of our pics... Stay tuned! We still have funny pics of the B&B owners...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gabe was here and wishes he could go to surf camp...
Congrats on your travelin' ways!